Sunday, May 27, 2007

Ma

I sat alone in the dark, watching my mother as she slept. There was a peaceful beauty on her face, as she smiled in her dreams. Ma: the one single word that is used in every language, every culture, every country. And no woman can compare to one that is a mother.

She carried me around in her womb for nine months, then worked around the house with me in her arms. She woke up in the middle of the night to feed me, sooth my cries. She held me against her, letting me breath in her motherly scent, and only

As I took my first steps she held my hand, caught me from tripping over my own feet. She took time to bath me, comb my hair, feed me, and putting me to sleep. One would say that these are a mother’s duties, but there are women out there that don’t appreciate their children. When I see these women treating their kids as if they were dirt, I am thankful that Allah blessed me with such a wonderful mother.

Now, as a grown daughter, I look at her with love in my eyes. I pray that she has the best of health, and utmost happiness in this world and the hereafter.

As I watched her, my eyes started to droop, and I went to sleep. But in the middle of the night, she started coughing. Leaving the warmth of my bed, I rushed to get her a glass of water. As I put the glass to her mouth, she looked at me with sleepy eyes. “Thank you, dear.”

I smiled in my sleep, and kissed her cheek as she rested her head back on the pillow. “Thank you, Ma.”

We could never repay the kindness that our mothers gave us. Never. But a loving word, a little respect, and an act of kindness can go a long way to making them happy. And to make them smile is an act of goodness in itself.

Take a minute in the day to thank your parents. If not by words, then by love. Before going to work or school, look at their beautiful faces and thank Allah for having them there with you. If they are far from you, take a minute to call them and speak a few kind words. If you’ve had an argument with them, be the first to say sorry. If they are old, and act childish, don’t jerk them away or ignore them. Remember that you were once a child and they loved you more than life itself. They put up with all your childish acts, and temper tantrums because they loved you.

Try to give them that love, even if it means putting aside your work and worldly duties for a little while. Take their hand and go for a walk, talk with them about your childhood days. Ask them about their good times, and you’ll see the smile that touches their lips.

There are so unfortunate people whose parents have left this world. But even then, they take the time to recite duas and prayers for them. When you see one of these people, remember that one day, your parents will also part company with you. Whether we leave this world before them or they depart before us. But when you won’t have them beside you, you’ll miss them dearly.

No comments: